The Moton Community Center is governed and maintained by The Moton Educational Foundation, Inc. The organization was started exclusively for charitable and educational purposes. Its purpose is to foster, develop and promote the excellence of education with the Leeds, AL area for at-risk students and children from low-income families.
The Moton Educational Foundation receives, maintains and administers funds made up of contributions, grants, and applies the income and principal to pormote the purposes of the organization relating to education, skills training and community development all through the Moton Community Center.
The Moton Educational Foundation also assists and cooperates with the Leeds City School System in tutoring and mentoring programs of various kinds. And finally, it oversees, beautifies and maintains the buildings, facilities and grounds of the Moton Community Center.
The Moton Community Center, is short for the Robert R. Moton Community Center, which is named after the Robert R. Moton High School which is what the building was back during the 1950’s and 1960’s. The original facility was built in 1948 and named after Dr. Robert R. Moton, who was the second President of Tuskegee Institute(now known as Tuskegee University), from 1915 to 1935. The building burned down in 1958 and was rebuilt and that is what remains today, minus a building or two which was torn down for parking. After segregation was court ordered, the last graduating class came out of Moton High School in 1970. The building eventually became Leeds Junior High School, then Leeds Middle School before it was closed by the school system and acquired by the Moton Educational Foundation to reopen as the Moton Community Center.
There is also a R.R. Moton High School National Alumni Association that meets at the school. Their sole purpose is to help in maintaining the facility that once was R.R. Moton High School. You can find out more information about the Alumni Association by visiting their website: www.rrmotonhighleeds.com